Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Holiday Driving Update

It is Saturday, after Thanksgiving, and I want to give an update on my Road Through the Holidays.

In the limited concordance of my Bible I have 29 scripture references for various forms of the word thankful. In addition to my daily study I spent time writing down some of these scriptures and contemplating what they meant to me in my world.  Making time to "be still" I will admit to being less harried or rushed, even with a three day trip out of town to enjoy the holiday with family.

What was I looking for? Honestly, I'd hoped for that rush of inspiration when a concept is made clear, the meaning unmistakeable. The moment wasn't quite the rush I was looking for, more a quiet whisper across my heart.

Today, as I was reading through the blogs I follow Window on the Prairie  posted a poem by Ella Wheeler Wilcox, 1896. The first stanza held the gem:


We walk on starry fields of white                                               
And do not see the daisies;
For blessings common in our sight
We rarely offer praises.
We sigh for some supreme delight                                               
To crown our lives with splendor,
And quite ignore our daily store
Of pleasures sweet and tender.

My supreme delight should be in the common sights. Offer praises on these things. In my notes most of my reflections listed the common and daily issues as I mined my thoughts for the "supreme delight". I have reread my notes and see the supreme delight is, thankfully, already there.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV).

What insight did this Thanksgiving holiday provide you?

3 comments:

  1. So true, and poignantly said.

    My greatest joys are the people God has privileged me to have in my life. I treasure them more with each passing year.

    Blessings,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,
    This is a great post. I'm so guilty of not being excited about the daily small things around me. I need to look closer--starting today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies, for stopping by. It is so easy for the daily, small things to become common and mundane when they truly are the real treasures. A reminder is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete