Sunday, February 23, 2014

Silhouette Me: An Adventures in Sewing Story

*Duct Tape Dangers Disclosure

My adventures in sewing began in 2011 when L. left for college and the unpredictable 'empty nest' season began.  Live & Learn With Sally has been a depository for both the emotional and artistic journey.  Silhouette Me is another stop along this road.

The Refashion movement has caught my eye.  I've tackled minor adjustments on blouses through haphazard pinning while looking at my reflection in the mirror.

 A major dress refashion has swirled through my mind for some time. My avoidance is in large part due to the lack of confidence to 'fit' the refashion accurately and sufficiently.  Honestly, I want to "want" to wear this dress when the refashion is done.

What I really needed was a dress form which cost $100+, a sum I'm not willing to spend if I'm only going to use it once.  (See Upholstery Re-Do)

A trip on the internet leads to more tutorials on 'Making Your Own Dress Dummy' than you would ever expect.  The two common instructions: you need another person and more than one roll of duct tape.  D. was my willing taper and Sam's provided the bulk package of duct tape.

The adventure began:

Start in a trash bag or old t-shirt.

It is important to capture
every curve.

We followed specific
wrapping instructions.

Getting close but not tight.

2 1/2 hours in and we
are done wrapping;
now to cut me out.

Stuffed and ready
for service.
Dress ready for a
The intention for this dress refashion is to make the skirt portion an A-Line and bring up the hem without removing the back zipper.

I will post the results, success or failure, to let you know how the refashion goes and the dress form performs.

Thanks for stopping by.

*Duct Tape Dangers Disclosure
In an effort for full disclosure be aware that continued use of duct tape over an extended period of time can result in blisters.

D. took one for the team!

Friday, February 14, 2014

I Made a Duffle!

In the current recycle/reuse environment I was going through a bag of clothes destined for donation when my recycle eye caught sight of a pair of cargo pants with a draw string waist and excellent pockets.

A bag pattern came to mind inspiring the next project.

With many of these new endeavors I often fly by the seat of my pants; following the suggestion of a pattern and designing as I go.

After cutting out the seams a visit to Joann Fabrics yielded an upholstery remnant that complimented the cargo blue.

Two 4 inch strips replaced the seams.  A bucket design made the best use of size and pocket placement.  My sewing machine couldn't accommodate the thick fabric for sewing the handle strap but two gold buttons did the trick.

The lining came together with minimal frustration and installed with ease.  I am still on the hunt for a cord lock large enough to accommodate the draw string which will make the bag complete.

Deep into the process, as I was wrestling the fabric thorough my machine that wasn't made to handle industrial sewing, it seemed this project might have been too ambitious.

Multiple trips to the fabric store and additional days thinking through problem areas did result in a pleasing duffle.

My feelings regarding this project is similar to the Chair Re-do.  I am happy with how it turned out but I won't intentionally revisit it again.  I do like the myriad of bags and purse patterns out there and this has given me a great trial run.  There is likely another effort out there but on a much smaller scale.

Because it turned out to be much larger than initially expected I have to consider it's purpose. I've decided it would make a great Diaper Duffle.  The pockets are perfect for all the various and sundry small baby items with the interior large enough for diapers, extra clothes and toys.

Another item for my Grandmother's hope chest. :)