Tuesday, July 3, 2018

When Dad Died


My Dad died suddenly on a Monday at 10:17 am at his country residence in Wisconsin.

I live in Texas, a sister in Kansas and 2 in Michigan. By 2:00 pm our families were packed, loaded and Wisconsin bound from our respective homes.

By 1:30 pm on Tuesday the pull, tug and drag through the acquired items of his life, the grieving of my Mother, our grieving, notifying friends, receiving condolences and planning a memorial were well under way.

I have been extended family bringing food, guiding guests at the funeral home or providing muscle for the disbursement of belongings.

I have been the friend notified, sending condolences, offering “if there is anything I can do” to the grieving family.

This week I was the daughter dealing with the personal and private details concerning the passing of MY Dad.

As his grandchildren began to arrive the happy noise of great grand children bounced through the sadness. 


The squeal of laughter from a 3-year old, the chubby arms of a 2-year old hugging your neck, the sweet gurgle and smile of an infant has the strength to lift heavy hearts. 

Dad’s legacy was apparent and alive in in the candid chatter, running and playing of his youngest descendants.

We planned a memorial for the living on the wishes of the dead. 

A social event at the Legion; reciting his obituary, prayers of hope and healing, the Marine Honor Guard, playing of taps, presentation of the flag to Mom. 

A spread of cookies and punch allowed an unexpected and impressive number of attendees the opportunity to honor my Dad with the sharing of their memories and sentiments.

Mountains can be moved with an agreed upon plan and many hands. My parents were 2 days into reducing their life of 20+ years in this location in order to sell their property and move. 

It was in his beloved, 2000 sq ft garage cleaning and sorting that a cardiac event ended his life. 

What was slated to take 1 month was achieved in 1 week. 

By the time the last daughter and family were heading home the garage and house were cleaned out and ready for showing. 


Mom is continuing with their plans only in a different reality. 

Life goes on, a new normal will develop and the memory of my Dad will live on in our hearts and the smiles of his future generations. 


9 comments:

  1. My heart is so sad for you all of you.Im blessed to have gotten to know your dad over the past 34 yrs, he's infectious laugh, corney jokes and great stories.Im a better person for knowing him. Sending many prayers for strength and peace. Bushels of hugs and tons of love. Vickie (horn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece captures the strength and love of your family. Hug your mom for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so sorry Aunt Sally. Love you much. Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your experience. Praying for comfort as you continue to process, grieve, and live.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Sally. Tears ran when I read it. I, too, loved Bill ... from early childhood. You are right; life will continue but in a different reality. Memories will stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a new way of life for you too. I've learned the hard way since January 18th that our lives will never be the same. I've also learned that God gives us so much strength with the pain. I pray that you and your family will find that strength that only God can give to find your new normal.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you really paid tribute as a family, coming together to celebrate his life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So well written, Sally. You were able to put into words what all were thinking but could not say. Although we haven't seen much of each other in the family, we always have had great memories, and knew you folks were well. My fear now is that we may never see you, Jane, Jackie, Julie, Cindy and your families ever again. Bill Cruckson was one of a kind although he lives in each of you. The mold has been broken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry, and sorry I couldn't be there. I was with students in Baltimore. I hope you are planning to make quilts from his shirts. Lots of free patterns for them. Hugs to you, your mom and sisters.

    ReplyDelete