Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sewing Gifts for Mom & Me

Re-do ripped out and
 on the dress form.
The clothing refashions coming out of the sewing room have been more 'minor adjustments' than refashions.  Admittedly, I'm timid about ripping out, cutting off then expecting I can get it back together in any kind of shape I would actually wear.
Color me timid no more!

This post features the making of my body form; constructed out of duct tape. It was a project specifically to move toward refashioning a dress that was too full in the skirt and too long.  Not necessarily complicated changes except I wanted to make the adjustments without taking any part of the zipper off the back (that would be complicated).

After finishing the Dog quilt I resolved my next project would be the dress. The refashion didn't take more than a weekend but there was MUCH seam ripping and plenty of measure, try on, measure again.



Before
After
I am very pleased, and not a little surprised, at how well it turned out.  My courage has been bolstered and another dress refashion selected.  It is a dress of the same style so I'll let out the pleats and see if I can't gather it for a swirly, twirly look plus bring the hem to knee length.

This dress was no sooner pressed than another refashion item was under the rotary blade...


My wonderful mom liked the smallish cosmetic case made out of left over quilted squares and remarked that she could use it to hold her pencils in the car.  Knowing she would appreciate a car tote a knit vest came to mind that caught my eye when I bought a jacket last week, the one that was supposed to become a larger barrel bag (but it fit great so I wore it to work instead).

This vest became a perfect tote for holding puzzle books, a Kindle, notebook and pencils.

The sides were cut down and put together allowing for markers on both sides of the bag then a handle was made out of the colored lines that were cut away.

I added two pockets for a cell phone and pencils.  A previously ordered tension frame was installed for closure.



I need to get this in the mail (I'm already tardy) but Mom is visiting two of my sisters and it should arrive before she makes it home.

Happy Mother's Day Mom!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Sally,
    You are amazing!

    My grandson is taking a consumer education class this year, and he has to complete sewing projects as part of the class. Wish I had half your talent to help him out.

    ReplyDelete